Clean Energy and Transportation – Market and Investment Opportunities
The $8 trillion (revenues per year) energy industry and the $4 trillion automotive industry are on the cusp of disruption. Exponentially improving technologies such as solar, the electric vehicle, and the self-driving car are turning the industrial-era energy and transportation industries upside down and making conventional utilities, internal combustion engine vehicles, and conventional energy sources obsolete.
This $12 trillion/yr disruption will melt down investment portfolios based on these soon-to-be obsolete industries. The Clean Disruption will also provide ample opportunities for entrepreneurs and investors to create new products, services, markets, and industries.Tony Seba’s recent book “Clean Disruption of Energy and Transportation” shows how the disruption is unfolding. This book focuses on market disruptions caused by exponential technology improvement, business model innovation, and disruptive product design enabled by this technology convergence. “Clean Disruption ” projects that by 2030:
– All energy will be provided by solar or wind.
– The architecture of energy will flip from centralized, command-and-control, secretive, and extractive to distributed, mobile, intelligent and participatory.
– Electric Utilities as we know them will be obsolete.
– Oil will be obsolete.
– Nuclear will be obsolete.
– Natural Gas will be obsolete.
– Coal will be obsolete.
– All new mass-market vehicles will be electric.
– All new mass-market vehicles will be autonomous (self-driving).
– The auto industry will shrink by 80%.
– 80% of parking space and highway space will be redundant.
– The parking industry will be disrupted.
– The car insurance industry will be disrupted.
– The construction and real estate industries will change dramatically.
– Cities will undergo the most radical transformation since horses gave way to gasoline cars and electric streetcars.
– Taxis as we know them will be obsolete.
– Logistics as we know it will be obsolete.
This workshop combines the evidence in Tony Seba’s “Clean Disruption” and “Solar Trillions” as well as frameworks and tools that he has developed for his Stanford course “Clean Energy and Transportation – Market and Investment Opportunities”. We take a hard look at the exponential improvement in key technologies, business model innovation, and product innovation that are disrupting the energy and transportation industries.
What are the real, scalable market opportunities and which ones are obsolete or dead ends? What is the new architecture of energy and why is it disruptive? How soon will electric utilities become obsolete? How do you analyze each energy market to determine the path to and timing of disruption?
What is the future of public and private transportation? How will the Sharing Economy affect the energy industry? How does the legal and regulatory affect the path to disruption? How does finance and cost of capital influence the disruption? How important is business model innovation relative to technology innovation?
This course will start with a long view of energy, analyzing the viability of energy options, looking at primary sources and uses, technology mega-trends, economics, regulatory and financial environments and geopolitics.
We’ll explore these and other opportunities within different segments ( industrial, commercial, residential), geographic markets, and across value chains.
- Mobile Internet Apps.
- Software / Web.
- Crowd-funding and Crowd-sourcing.
- Power Plant Development.
- Real Estate and Construction.
- Home automation and Energy Efficiency.
- Sensors and the Internet of Things.
- Big Data, Analytics, and Intelligent Power Management
- Clean Water.
- Energy Storage.
- Public and private transportation.
- Electricity 2.0 – The New & Disruptive Clean Infrastructure.
The question is not whether they will be disrupted but how and when.
” It was an amazing experience and one that I won’t forget anytime soon. Your passion, caring, and deep industry knowledge are simply astonishing.”
Joshua Hurst, Oracle
This is is a 1-day or 2-day workshop where we explore opportunities worth $billions today and $trillions over the next two decades as the world builds the clean energy and clean transportation economy infrastructure over the next four decades.
We look at the opportunities in the short-term (today there are billions of dollars in unclaimed market opportunities); in the medium term; and in the long term (over the next four decades.)
Drawing from Seba’s real-life clean energy entrepreneurial experience, as well as case studies, examples, and frameworks that the instructor developed for his Stanford disruption and clean energy courses as well as his latest book “Clean Disruption of Energy and Transportation” and his previous book “Solar Trillions” we analyze disruptive opportunities potentially worth trillions over the next two decades.
“Your class is exactly what our civilization needs right now.”
– Garrett Jacobs, VicePresident, Landbank Investments
Note: This course is designed to help entrepreneurs bent on disruption as well as managers of incumbent industries who want to anticipate and possibly even lead the disruption.